Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wizard of Oz Gala



I am a Kansas girl. I grew up and lived in Kansas until 12 years ago. My memories of the Wizard of Oz are that every time it came on we happened to be visiting my grandparents. This was definitely a coincidence, but a nice one. I remember always crying at the end of the movie. My favorite characters were Glenda, the Lollipop Guild and I thought the horse of a different color was really cool. I decided not to show pictures from the movie because I'm assuming a lot of other people are, but here are some pictures of my Kansas home and as we all know,
"There's no place like home!"

This is the house my parents built and we moved into the year I was in first grade. The name of the street we lived on was Castle Drive. As kids we always thought that was such a cool name for a street. My mom sold it a few years ago, but this house will always be home to me.



This is a picture of downtown Wichita, Kansas and the Arkansas River. If you are from Wichita it is called the "Our Kansas" river, but technically I guess it is called the Arkansas River.



This is another view of downtown Wichita.



One of the things I have hated since I moved to New York is that when you tell people you are from Kansas, especially men, they always say, "Your not in Kansas anymore" or some stupid remark about ToTo. I swear I think that's the only part of the movie that some people saw and no we don't all wear cowboy boots and live on farms in Kansas, although I do love cowboy boots!

I love the movie The Wizard of Oz and I'm proud to be a Kansas girl.




This is a cake I made for my Daughter Lexie's 9th Birthday.



Thanks for hosting the Oz Gala Twyla and Lindsey!!

15 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Sherry, thank you for sharing a little of Dorothy's (and your) Kansas with us. I suppose people do have a hard time not making jokes about that and it does probably get old. I've never been to Witchita, but it looks like such a lovely place from your photos. Thank you for paricipating in our celebration today! Twyla

Jorgelina said...

Happy Wizard Of Oz gala!!
Magical hugs

marble rose said...

What a beautiful cake!!!! We could have done with one of those at our party!


Fleur
xxx

KatCollects said...

What a sweet cake you made, you are very talented! I hope you are having a good weekend.
Kathy

Unknown said...

Awesome photos. And OMG to the cake. That is gorgeous. Do you talents ever end?

Unknown said...

Oh wow.. I thought I found someone here in Wichita that I could buddy with and sew :( .. but its nice to see you still love the city :)
Thanks for joining in on my fun swap :)
M

Bearly Sane said...

I can't get over how different all the posts are ... well done Kansas girl and a good way to finish any celebration is with cake!
Hugs, Sandi
Fantasy & Fancy

Jessica said...

Beautiful cake!

Loved your post! :)

Betty said...

I love seeing your pics of Kansas. My son's fiancee just moved out here from Kansas. I'm sure she thinks there's no place like home too, but, I'm hoping she'll fall in love with California!
Happy Oz Day!

Shirl said...

Happy Wizard Of Oz gala!! Cute post, love that cake!
Bless you, Shirl
SHirls Rose Cottage

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Hi,
I love your collage and the cake was beautiful! I enjoyed the Kansas info and the remembrance of your home. You are invited to visit my party8-)
~Myrna

Val said...

Is there anything you cannot do? The cake is gorgeous. I loved the movie too. You make me want to see it again.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

What a beautiful cake! You are really talented Sherry! I bet your Daughter loved that cake so much!
Thank you for partying with us!

Lindsey

Val said...

Yes, this is my second comment but just wanted to tell you that it has been a few days since you posted and I sure do miss you! I totally understand about being busy though and you are a busy woman.

Yarni Gras! said...

The Wizard of Oz always scared me....must be the flying monkeys...which I think are AWESOME now. But the witch? yeah! Loved her cackle! :-)

My DIL made this up using the pictures of my 5 oldest boys. So funny!

Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!

All 8 of my kids

All 8 of my kids

My 6 Grandkids

My 6 Grandkids

Me, Earl, My daughter-in-laws, son-in-law, kids & grandkids

Me, Earl, My daughter-in-laws, son-in-law, kids & grandkids

The Whole Family

Use This Calculator and the Math Problem to Find Your Birthday

Calculator Code





This free script provided by
JavaScript Kit

Birthday Calculator............................................................ You can try this trick on the calculator, but it will also work with a pen and paper......... (With this calculator, you have to hit the equal (=) sign after each operation.)................................... Enter the number of the month of the birthday.......... Multiply that number by 5............ Add 6............ Multiply by 4........... Add 9............ Multiply by 5......... Add the number of the day of the birthday.............. Subtract 165......... The result will show the first one or two numbers as the month and the last two numbers is the day of their birthday.

On what day of the week were you born?

Enter your birthday

(then hit the "Update" button):

Numeric Month (1-12):

Day of Month (1-31):

Year (eg. 1960):

Date of Birth:

Day of Week:

This free script provided by
JavaScript Kit

PARTY PUZZLE

Click to Mix and Solve

Well, here I am - this is me, Sherry

Well, here I am - this is me, Sherry

Valentines Swap- video made by Graham Neale from Kirkcaldy, Scotland

In Your Eyes-- Only Sadness by Abby Kaplan

Swaps for 2008

2008 swaps updated

2008 Swaps cont...., Things I Participated In and Awards

Photobucket

Let's Give Each Other a Make Over! Click on Me & I'll Take you There!

Blog Archive

Labels

My spirit is craving to take me here - a quiet tranquil place!

My spirit is craving to take me here - a quiet tranquil place!
I would love to get away and just find me. Find my artistic side and just be able to let my spirit go!

Personality Test

You Are 9: The Peacemaker
You are emotionally stable and willing to find common ground with others. Your friends and family often look to you to be the mediator when there is conflict. You are easy going and accepting. You take things as they come. Avoiding conflict at all costs, you're content when things are calm. At Your Best: You feel connected, trusting, and fulfilled. You feel at peace with your place in the world. At Your Worst: You compromise your values to make sure peace is maintained. You give in to bullies. Your Fixation: Harmony Your Primary Fear: Causing conflict Your Primary Desire: To preserve things as they are Other Number 9's: Marge Simpson, Ronald Reagan, Audrey Hepburn, Jerry Seinfeld, and Abraham Lincoln.